I look forward each year to Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends report. It’s one of the industry’s most anticipated reports every year, sharing valuable insights and statistics about the technology industry.
Her 2018 report is available to view here. It’s a pretty hefty report coming in at 294 pages. If you’re looking for the digested read, below you will find a snapshot of some of the stats I found most significant.
- At 3.6 billion users, the number of Internet users has surpassed half the world’s population.
2. U.S. adults are spending more time online, clocking 5.9 hours per day in 2017.
3. Mobile video usage is climbing exponentially with new content types such as Twitch emerging.
4. Voice technology is at an inflection point due to speech recognition hitting 95% accuracy and the sales explosion for Amazon Echo which went from over 10 million to over 30 million sold in total by the end of 2017.
5. More people now start product searches on Amazon than search engines.
6. Social Media is driving product discovery and purchase.
7. Social advertising engagement rates are rising, most noticeably Facebook’s Click-Through-Rates (CTRs). However competition has forced ad spend to rise faster than ad reach thus diminishing Return-On-Investment (ROI).
So there you have, 7 key takeaways from a mammoth report. Which of these do you find most interesting?