How To Conduct A Competitor Audit on Social Media and Six Tools To Help You
Updated January 2019
Curious about how you stack up against competitors in your industry?
Conducting a social media audit is a key part of your social media marketing plan.
A social media audit assesses how well your current social media use works for you. We can waste time and resources trying to improve things that don’t need improving while neglecting the things that we really need to work on.
An audit is a great way to take stock of where you’re at and identify what you can improve on going forward.
How To Conduct A Competitor Audit
One of the key components of conducting a social media audit is to compare your competitors’ digital footprints against your own. Competitor analysis allows you to benchmark your metrics against others to see how you stack up.
While it’s tempting to go straight to vanity metrics such as follower numbers, it will be of more benefit if you skip the quantitative analysis for qualitative.
- What type of content are they creating and how often are they sharing it?
- Which content is performing well?
- Which content is most shared, commented on, etc?
- How have they chosen to use videos and images?
- Which social media influencers are they interacting with?
- Are they active on networks you aren’t?
Create a spreadsheet to keep track of your findings. Keeping a spreadsheet makes it more scalable (SproutSocial has a neat spreadsheet template to help you get your competitors in order).
Pro Tip: Here’s a super tip from Duda:
One of the best ways to begin a competitor analysis is by identifying the URLs on your competitor’s site that you’re directly competing with. The idea of analyzing an entire website against your own can be overwhelming, so start with the areas of direct competition. For example, if you’re targeting the keyword “best apple pie recipes,” identify the top ranking URL(s) for that particular query and evaluate them against your apple pie recipe page.
Six Tools To Help You Perform A Competitor Audit
1.Facebook’s Pages to Watch feature enables you to compare the performance of your Facebook Page and posts with similar Pages at a glance. You can also easily check out each Page’s top posts by clicking on their Page name. To access Pages to Watch, go to your Facebook Page Insights and scroll down to the bottom of the Overview tab.
2. Open Site Explorer lets you export the backlinks for your competitor’s site. By evaluating these backlinks, you can see which high-authority sites are linking to your competitor.
3. Rival IQ allows you to look across multiple competitors at one time and view their top engaging content across their social networks.
4. SEM Rush (along with Rival IQ) shows how your competition is ranking organically for certain keywords.
5. Screaming Frog is a website crawler which can give you a snapshot of your competitors’ pages and how well they have been optimized.
6. BuzzSumo gives a snapshot of your competitor’s main content pages and how well they’re performing socially. Simply plug your competitor’s url into Buzzsumo to find the posts with the most social shares.
Want more tips like these? Sign up to my weekly newsletter and have fresh social media tips delivered direct to your inbox every Monday.